Monday, January 12, 2009

Let's hope for a better 2009 on food safety...

Happy New Year!

The economic situation has worsened and people’s available spending is getting less. I first thought, maybe this recession could make consumers spend less by reducing purchase of non-essential items. But, Claire’s taking of the current situation was the opposite. She thought people would buy the same amount of stuff, but much cheaper stuff and care even less of product safety.

Long after the stampedes to Wal-Mart, I slowly came to the sad reality that the majority of people seemed oblivious to the ingredients of food. I believe that is why most of the food manufacturers do not check the sources of their product ingredients.

When we look at the sales ranking among the retailers in the last quarter of 2008, the top one is still Wal-Mart which had in their bottled water, see the news link on the right, the highest concentration of chlorine byproducts, known as trihalomethanes.

As we start the new year, we would like to remind consumers to make wise choice on their purchase. Because, in many ways, consumers’ purchase money could be our last voting power over corporations.

2 comments:

Room for the Future said...

I've bought water at Walmart, and these results bother me a little, but not enough to stop me from shopping there. I might not buy the water anymore, though...

Sofiia V. and Sarah D. said...

Thank you for your comment. The effect of trihalomethanes consumption on human body would not be immediate like some deadly bacteria. My hesitation of buying things in stores like Wal-Mart has based on doubt of Wal-Mart's product safety policy. I understand your position. But for me, I would not want to put myself or my family in such a test.